MCRH: Relaunch and New Focuses

A view under the canopy of the Southgate Shopping Center, with a mixture of active businesses and defunct businesses. In the background is a former Farmer Jack now active as Downriver Gymnastics. This blog began in 2013 with a Southgate Shopping Center photo and this new era of this blog will begin with a Southgate Shopping Center photo.
Under this blog's old name - Hudson's, Farmer Jack, Cunningham's: A Retail History of the Motor City - I had a goal to document as much of Metro Detroit's retail scene as I could. That is still the case under this blog's new name - Southeast Michigan Retail: Motor City Retail History - but I will also cover much more modern day retail developments to broaden my focus.

In the six years that this blog has existed, Metro Detroit's retail scene has evolved very significantly. Tons of new retailers have opened up shop within the city of Detroit as it recovers from years of dilapidation. Once no-man's land for retail chains, today, downtown Detroit and midtown Detroit continue to add major retailers almost frequently. Even some of the outlying neighborhoods of the city have increased their retailing choices.

However, many big-box stores are still confined to the surrounding suburbs of Wayne, Macomb and Oakland Counties.

This blog will still attempt to document every interesting retail developments that I can easily access, including the interesting, ugly, historic, untouched and unbelievable in shopping malls, lifestyle centers and big-box power centers. And major strip malls too. Old or new, it gets put on this blog.

But the main reason why I'm relaunching this blog is to serve as a replacement for my Flickr account. At the beginning of November 2018, Flickr announced that it was eliminating the free 1TB of storage for non-paying accounts. I had 553 photos on my account at the time of this announcement. I hadn't done much with my account for a few months at the time, but this announcement solidified me abandoning it permanently. Many other retail-oriented Flickr users moved to Blogger in the wake of this announcement, and now I have decided to join them. This was the perfect opportunity to bring this blog back from the graveyard.

Also, as has always been the case since I started this blog in 2013, I do live in the Downriver Suburbs of Wayne County, so most of the content on this blog will be concentrated in that particular area since it's the easiest for me to cover.

One more note, my Flickr account will still be in place, but no new photos will be posted there so as to remain under the new 1000-photo limit for non-paying accounts. Feel free to browse there for what I have previously posted.

Stay tuned for new posts to come, as we examine the variety of stores that can be found in and near Detroit. Hope to see all of you here again soon!

Comments

  1. "the interesting, ugly, historic, untouched and unbelievable" - love this! Looking forward to all your new content :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Great Lakes Crossing Outlets, Auburn Hills, Michigan

Southland Center, Taylor, Michigan

Meijer #35, Taylor, Michigan